Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions test 2018 (TNEA) will be conducted by the Anna University. The counselling of this exam for UG courses in various institutes is tentatively in the last week of June 2018. The admission will be based on the marks attained by the candidates in this exam. The TNEA 2018 examination will have the subject’s namely-Physics, Chemistry, Maths.
To have the variations in the difficulty, level of the various state boards as compared to Tamil Nadu state board, the marks scored by the candidate belonging to another state will be normalized. The total marks will be reduced from 300 to 200 while preparing the merit list.
Candidates meeting the eligibility criteria and scoring adequate marks in the exam will be called for the counselling process. The counselling process will be a single window process. Candidates are required to fill the application form along with the application to give this examination.
The seat allotment for the candidates will be different, based on the category they belong. Total there are seven categories including SC and ST. The application form needs to be filled carefully through online mode. After completing the registration and application form filling process, the candidates will be required to send a completely filled application form along with the photocopies of documents to the admission office.
To more about the TNEA 2018 Notification, application form, application fee, cut off, merit list and much more, refer complete article.
TNEA 2018 Exam Date
This section will also cover the other important dates related to the TNEA 2018 exam. The mentioned dates are tentative dates, and as soon as the actual dates are announced it will be updated soon.
|1||The registration process will start||First week of May 2018|
|2||The deadline for completing the registration process||Last week of May 2018|
|3||The last date to submit the filled application form||Third week of June 2018|
|4||The assigning of random number||Third week of June 2018|
|5||Declaration of the rank list||Fourth week of June 2018|
|6||Counselling will start||Last week of June 2018|
TNEA 2018 Application Form
The application from will get available from the thrid week of April 2018. It will be available through both mode online and offline mode. Through online mode, it will be available on the official website of TNEA i.e. www.tnea.ac.in. For offline mode, the candidate can get the application form from the designated centers of TNEA.
The application form filling is required to be done meticulously; so that the chances of form getting cancelled by the conducting authority remains minimum. Generally, candidate makes the mistake of filling incomplete details. Here are the detailed steps to fill the application form for TNEA 2018.
- It is advised to read all the instruction before filling the application form.
- For online mode, visit the official website of TNEA i.e. www.tnea.ac.in.
- For TNEA 2018 registration, click on the link “online registration.”
- The candidate will need to create the login ID and password with OTP verification. Candidate should verify the phone number and email address, and make sure that they are valid and active for use.
- Once the registration process is completed, candidates can login more easily by using their username and password.
- The application form will have spaces to fill the personal details and academic details; candidate can fill the detail carefully.
- Once the details have been successfully filled in by the candidate in the application form, to verify the details, candidate can check it by using the preview button.
- After verifying the details candidate can take the print out of the application form.
- After filling the application form candidate need to submit it along with the required documents to the address mentioned below:
Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions.
The documents that are supposed to be sent along with the filled in application form are given below:
- Mark sheet of 10th and 12th standard examination.
- 12th standard, hall ticket.
- Category certificate (if applicable).
- Transfer certificate.
- Demand Draft.
- Nativity Certificate (if applicable).
- Sri Lankan Tamil Refugee Certificate (if applicable).
The candidates can follow the steps mentioned above to fill and submit the application form successfully. It should be noted that the application form filled through online mode needs to be submitted offline along with the other necessary documents. Also, the information filled in should be correct.
Candidate can make the application fee through online and offline mode. The application fee is mentioned below:
- For offline mode: candidate needs to submit Rs.700 (for general category) and Rs.450 (for ST/SC/OBC).
- For online mode: candidates need to submit Rs.500 (for general category) and Rs. 250 (for ST/SC/OBC).
- Candidates can make the payment through a demand draft.
The last date to submit the application form is last week of May 2018. The candidates willing to apply for this examination should submit the filled application form on time. Each year more than a lakh of candidates applies for this examination.
Candidate should note that, once the details filled in the application form are wrong and it has been submitted, then it cannot be corrected. Therefore, before finally submitting the application form, a candidate should verify all the filled in details.
TNEA 2018 Syllabus
There is no specific syllabus for TNEA 2018. As the selection is based on the score attained by the candidate in 12th board examination, the syllabus covers the topics which taught for 12th board or equivalent.
Here are the topics lists which are covered for 12th board exam.
- Physical World & measurement
- Laws of Motion
- Work, Energy, and Power
- Motion of System of Particles and Rigid body
- Behaviour of Perfect Gas and Kinetic Theory
- Oscillations and Waves
- Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism
- Properties of Bulk Matter
- Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism
- Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation
- Atoms and Nuclei
- Electronic Devices
- Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry
- Structure of Atom
- States of Matter : Gases and Liquid
- Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
- Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties
- Redox Reactions
- S-Block Element (Alkali and Alkaline earth metals)
- Some p-Block Elements
- Organic Chemistry – Some Basic Principles and Techniques
- Environmental Chemistry
- Solid State
- Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Elements
- P- Block Elements
- d and f Block Elements
- Coordination Compounds
- Haloalkanes and Haloarenes
- Alcohols, Phenols, and Ethers
- Aldehydes, Ketones and Carboxylic Acids
- Organic Compounds Containing Nitrogen
- Chemistry in Everyday Life
TNEA 2018 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates are required to check their eligibility and then move on to fill the application form. Following are the eligibility criteria for TNEA 2018.
- Candidates belonging to the Tamil Nadu state and completed their 10+2 education from the same state only are eligible for this examination.
- Candidates not belonging to the Tamil Nadu State, but they have passed their 10+2 education from the state are also eligible for TNEA 2018.
- The candidates belonging to Tamil Nadu and passed their 10+2 from the different state can also give this exam.
- The children of central government employees can also apply for the admission. They need to represent their parents/guardians native certificates who have been serving continuously in Tamil Nadu for last five years.
- Sons and daughter of All India Service Tamil Nadu Cadre Officers can also apply for this exam.
- The applicant age should not be less than 18 years and, it should also not exceed 25years.
- The candidates belonging to the reserved category get some relaxation based on the University rules.
- Candidates who have cleared their 10+2 or equivalent from the physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as mandatory subjects from the recognized boards.
- Candidates need to attain 50% marks for general category, 45% marks for OBC category, 40% marks for MBC, DNC, SC, ST and SCA category.
TNEA 2018 Exam Pattern
Earlier there used to be an examination conducted by the Anna University, offering admission to the applicants in various institutes. However, the entrance examination has been stopped. Now, candidates are given admission based on the score they attain in their 12th standard. This exam pattern has made the admission process very simple.
- A candidate who is interested in TNEA 2018 needs to register and submit the application form.
- The application forms of the candidates checked carefully by the Anna University.
- The merit list is declared after studying all the application forms by the University.
- The candidates who get selected for counselling are called by the University. They need to download their counselling call letter from the official website of the TNEA 2018.
- The counselling is the single window, and candidates are offered seats in various courses in different engineering colleges of Tamil Nadu.
- Candidates get the admission based on the score they have attained in 12th board examination.
Since there is no examination for TNEA, there is no specific syllabus for it. Candidates who have scored good marks in their 12th board will certainly get the admission through TNEA 2018.
TNEA 2018 Merit List
The merit list for TNEA 2018 will be declared by the University in the fourth week of June 2018. Based on the merit list, the candidates will be offered admission in different engineering colleges. Moreover, the authority will create the rank list on the basis of percentage scored by the candidates in their 12th board examination.
The candidate should have successfully completed the registration process. The merit list is prepared on the basis of the marks obtained by the candidate in physics, chemistry and mathematics subject. The merit list of TNEA 2018 preparation process includes the normalizing marks attained by the candidate of other boards in qualifying board and the state board of Tamil Nadu.
The merit list is prepared on the basis of total marks of 200 (Mathematics-100, and Physics and Chemistry-100). In case, if two or more candidate scores the same marks in the merit list, the inter-se-merit of the candidate will be decided in the following order:
- Percentage of marks attained in the mathematics subject.
- Percentage of marks attained in the physics and chemistry subject.
- Percentage of marks attained in the fourth optional subject.
- The age of the candidate (older candidate will be given more preference)
- Random number assigned( the higher number will be placed in the higher position in merit list)
The general merit list will contain the name and ranking of the selected candidates. The candidates need to log in with their registered ID and password. For the candidates belonging to the other state, the age condition will be last preferred condition for deciding the inter-se-merit. Moreover, the merit list will show the overall rank, region wise rank and community wise rank.
TNEA 2018 Cut Off
The TNEA 2018 cut off the list is the minimum rank of a candidate needed to be attained, to get eligible for the seat allotment. It will be available for the specific colleges, community code (SC, ST, OC, etc), and course branch.
To check the cutoff, the candidate can visit the cutoff portal and select the desired field. The candidate needs to enter the details like district, college name and branch, and one non-mandatory field-community code. Candidate attaining the score above cut off of TNEA 2018 will be called for the counselling process. The cut off the factor of TNEA 2018 is based on the number of candidates applying for the admission, previous year cut off the trend and marks attained in the qualifying examination.
Here are the factors which decide the TNEA cut off
- The total number of seats that is available in each branch of the undergraduate engineering colleges in the Tamil Nadu state.
- The cutoff score declared by the various institutes last year.
- The reservation category, the candidate belonging to any reserved category will have the different cutoff.
- The overall score attained by the candidate in 12th board or any other equivalent examination.
TNEA 2018 Counselling
The counselling will be performed on the basis of the merit attained by the candidate. Moreover, it will also depend on the category of the candidate. The candidate securing higher ranks will be called first for the counselling process and they will have more options to choose. The candidate can select the choices of branch and college at the time of counselling only. The counselling will be conducted through offline mode and candidate needs to be present in the counselling. In case, the candidate is not able to attend the counselling, the parents of the candidate are allowed to attend the counselling process on the behalf of their children.
Candidate needs to pay the counselling fee through DD or cash for TNEA 2018. The candidate should also have the original document which is required during the counselling. The counselling process will take place after the declaration of merit list by the University.
Here are the key points related to the counselling of TNEA 2018.
- The counselling will start from June to July 2018.
- The counselling process will allow the candidate to take admission in various colleges.
- Candidates need to pay the title counselling fee of Rs.5000 for general category, Rs. 1000 for Sc, St, Sca category.
- The payment of counselling fee can be made through DD or Cash.
2018 Documents Required for Counselling
- Mark sheet of the 10th and 12th standard.
- Identify proof.
- Category certificate (if applicable)
- Domicile certificate
- Counselling call letter
- Six passport size photograph.
Once the counselling process is completed the admission process will also get completed. The candidates need to bring their original documents during the counselling time. Moreover, they have to report at the institute allotted to them on the mentioned date. Candidates are required to pay the admission fee and complete the admission procedure of TNEA 2018.
TNEA Participating Institutes 2018
A candidate who will be appearing for the counselling process will be allowed the seat in participating institutes of TNEA 2018. Total there are 562 institutes which give admission to the candidate under TNEA. Around 1.5 lakhs of the candidate are given seat every year in these institutes. The top five institutes which admission the candidates for the various course are:
- College of Engineering, Anna University, Chennai.
- PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore.
- Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai.
- Adhiyamaan College of engineering, Hosur.
- Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore
TNEA Reservation of Seats 2018
The allotment of seats for undergraduate engineering course through TNEA 2018 will be conducted for seven categories. The seven categories along with the percentage of seats reserved for each category is mentioned below:
- For the candidates of open competition (OC) category, the number of seats reserved is 31.
- For the candidates of backward class (BC) category, the number of seats reserved is 26.
- For the candidates of backward class Muslim (BCM) category, the number of seats reserved is 3.5.
- For the candidates of most backward class and denotified communities (MBC & DNC) category the numbers of seats reserved are 20.
- For the candidates of scheduled caste category, the numbers of seats reserved are 15.
- For the candidates of scheduled caste (Arunthathiyars) category the numbers of seats reserved are 3.
- For the candidates of scheduled tribe’s category, the numbers of seats reserved are 1.
TNEA Seat Allotment 2018
The seat allotment will be conducted in the order of merit list. The category wise rank of the candidates will also be considered to fill the reserved seats. The choices selected by the candidate during the counselling process will be considered. Moreover, once the seat is allowed to the candidate, they need to pay the remaining tuition fee.
Candidates seeking the allocation of seats under the state quota, the points mentioned below will show the seats reserved for various regions.
- For the northern, eastern, western region, the number of seats reserved for general and SC/ST category are 9 and 2, respectively.
- For the southern region, the number of seats reserved for general and SC/ST category are 12 and 4, respectively.
- For the Kashmiri migrants region, the number of seats reserved for general and SC/ST category are 1 and none, respectively.
In case, there is no applicant for the seat under Kashmiri migrant category, the seat will be given back to Northern region quota.
TNEA 2018 FAQs – Asked Questions
1. If I don’t belong to Tamil Nadu, but I have completed my 12th board here, am I eligible for TNEA 2018?
Yes, candidates who have completed their 12th board from Tamil Nadu are eligible for the admission in the institutes for various courses.
2. What is the minimum qualification required to appear for TNEA admission process?
The applicants are required to complete their 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized board. The merit list will be prepared on the basis of the scores attained by the candidate in the 12th board. For more details, refer to the eligibility section of the article.
3. How much fee I have to pay to fill the application form?
To submit the application fee through offline mode, it is Rs.700 for general category and Rs.450 for ST/SC/OBC category.
To submit the application fee through online mode, it is Rs.500 for general category and Rs.250 for ST/SC/OBC category.
4. How can I apply for TNEA 2018?
The candidate needs to apply for TNEA through online and offline mode. By applying through online mode, the candidate can take the print out of filled in application form and send it to the conducting authority along with the other required documents.
5. Is there any entrance test for TNEA 2018?
No, there is no entrance test of TNEA 2018. It is an admission procedure which previously used to conduct entrance test for the admission in various institutes. Currently, the Tami Nadu Engineering Admission is conducted by the Anna University and, the candidates are selected based on the scores they have attained in 12th board. Simultaneously, the other eligibility criteria are needed to be met by the candidate to get the seat in desired institutes. For more details on the eligibility, refer to the eligibility section of the article.