TANCET 2018 (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test) is conducted to give admissions in various courses like ME/M.Tech/M.Arch/M.Plan, MCA & MBA. TANCET 2018 is a state level exam. Candidates can get admission into different government & non-government colleges of Tamil Nadu state, after clearing this exam. TANCET 2018 Participating Institute is the Anna University, Chennai on behalf of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
TANCET scores are accepted by University Departments, University Colleges of Engineering, Regional Centres of Anna University, Government and Government Aided Engineering Colleges, Arts & Science Colleges and Self-financing Colleges (Engineering, Arts & Science Colleges including stand-alone Institutions) in Tamil Nadu. Some universities and self- financing engineering colleges also accept TANCET scores.
Here are some information about the TANCET 2018 entrance exam.
- Candidates who fulfil TANCET Eligibility can apply for the exam.
- Forms can be downloaded or got from the university campus.
- Candidates can download TANCET 2018 Admit Card from the official website www.annauniv.edu.
- It will be a pen and paper mode test.
- TANCET Exam Pattern consists in 5 sections for duration of 2 hours.
- There will a total of 120 questions and the total marks of the test will also be calculated out of 100.
- The medium of language to be used in the question paper will be in English and the questions are of MCQ type.
- There is negative marking against every correct answer.
- No application will be provided through offline mode.
- Candidates have to fill only one TANCET 2018 application form for all the three entrance exams.
- Students will get admission after the counselling procedure. The counselling will jointly be held by Anna University and the colleges enlisted under them. Though it is a state level exam, students from other states can also apply for the same. The counselling process will start after the declaration of TANCET 2018 result and merit list. Availability of seats depends on each course and the seats offered by each college for each course.
To more about the TANCET 2018 Notification, application form, application fee, cut off, merit list and much more, refer complete article.
TANCET 2018 Exam Dates
This section covers the important examination highlights and dates for TANCET 2018 exam. The mentioned dates are tentative dates, and as soon as the actual dates are announced it will be updated soon.
|1||Exam Name||Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET)|
|2||Date of Exam||Last week of March 2018|
|3||Conducting Body||Anna University|
|4||Mode of Application||Online|
|5||Mode of Exam||Pen and paper based|
|6||Medium of Exam||English|
|7||Duration of Exam||2 hours|
|8||Type and Number of Questions||120 MCQ type Questions|
|9||Courses Offered||M.E., M.Tech, MBA, MCA, M.Arch and M.Plan|
|10||Number of Colleges||6|
|Starting of form submission of TANCET 2018||Last week of January 2018|
|Closing of TANCET 2018 form submission||Last week of February 2018|
|Release of Admit Card||Middle of March 2018|
|Date of exam||Last week of March 2018 onwards|
|Declaration of TANCET 2018 result||April 2018|
TANCET 2018 Eligibility Criteria
The following TANCET eligibility criteria must be fulfilled by a candidate before appearing for the entrance. Candidates who fail to meet the criteria are not liable to sit for the entrance.
- Examination to be qualified: Candidates must have completed B.E or B.Tech in the concerned courses with 2 years of regular experience. Masters in any discipline of science is also accepted. Candidates who have passed 10+2 or possess a 10+3 years diploma certificate from the State Board of Technical Education are eligible. Students awaiting results can also apply.
- Percentage marks: The pass percentage is determined on the basis of the category the candidate belongs.
|Name of the category||Pass Percentage|
- Domicile: Candidates from the other states excluding Tamil Nadu can also apply for the entrance.
- Candidates who have appeared for GATE 216/2017/2018 let off from sitting at the entrance if they have qualified GATE. On the other hand, candidates who have appeared for GATE in XE and XL discipline have to appear for TANCET 2018.
The eligibility criteria are different for every course. Check the complete eligibility below:
|M. Tech/ME/M. Arch/M. Plan||Qualifying Exam: Pass Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in any disciplines.|
Minimum Marks: Secure minimum 50% marks (45% for the candidates belonging to SC/ST categories).
|MBA||Qualifying Exam: Pass Bachelor’s degree of minimum 3 years.|
Minimum Marks: Qualified with 50% marks (45% for reserved category candidates)
|MCA||Qualifying Exam: Pass Bachelors degree of minimum 3 years with mathematics at 10+2 or graduation level.|
Minimum Marks: Secured at least 50% marks (45% marks for reserved category candidates)
|MCA (Lateral Entry)||Qualifying Exam: Pass Bachelor’s degree in B.Sc (Computer Science/Information Technology), BCA with mathematics at 10+2 or graduation level.|
Minimum Marks: Secure at least 50% marks (45% marks in case of SC/ST).
TANCET 2018 Application Form
TANCET 2018 Application Form will be released in the last week of January 2018. It will be available on the official website of Anna University www.aanuniv.edu. The application form should be submitted together with the application fee. Candidates who fail to pay the application fee will not receive any admit card.
Applicants must follow the given steps in order to fill up TANCET 2018 Application Form:
- Visit the website.
- Click on the desired link.
- For TANCET Registration 2018, Candidates have to create a user account, and they have to provide a unique email id.
- Candidates have to provide their personal details, domicile details, contact details.
- Candidate is required to set a new ID and password. This login ID and password will be used to fill the application form, download the admit card and see the results.
- Next, candidate needs to enter the ID and passwords, which were used during the registration process. After log in, candidate needs to enter the details like, their qualification, personal information, and contact information.
- After filling academic details, the candidates need to upload a recent passport size colour photograph in .jpeg or .jpg format. Also the size of the photograph should be 25 kb.
- The candidates can verify the details filled in application form meticulously, if wrong can be changed. After reviewing the application form, the candidates can click on the “Submit” button for submitting it.
- After successfully submitting the application form, candidate can make the payment of application fee. The payment can be made through credit card/ debit card or via internet banking.
- Once the application fee has been paid, the complete application form will be generated in the PDF format, which can be used for future references.
- Before submitting the Application Form, candidates should check thoroughly all the details they have entered.
- Once the form is submitted, the details in the application form cannot be modified or changed.
- Post submission of the form an application number will be auto generated by the system.
- Applicants are suggested to note down the application number for future references.
- Candidates should also take a printout of the application form.
TANCET 2018 Application Fee
Candidates can apply for more than one course but in such cases, they have to pay for each added course. The payment can be made in a single demand draft for more than one program.
- Candidates can pay the application fee through online mode only.
- Candidates need to pay Rs. 500 (for SCA/ST/SC category Rs.250) for any one of the programme.
- If a candidate wants to appear for more than one programme, then they need to deposit Rs. 500 (for SC/SCA/ST candidates belonging to Tamilnadu, the fee is Rs.250) for every additional programme.
TANCET 2018 Admit Card
Candidates need to download TANCET 2018 Admit Card from the official website as no admit cards will be sent to their personal addresses. The admit card should be handled safely as it functions as the identity of candidates. TANCET 2018 Admit Card will be available on the university website from Mid-March 2018.
The below steps should be followed for downloading the admit card:
- Click on the website www.annauniv.edu.
- Enter User ID and Password.
- TANCET 2018 Admit Card will appear on the computer screen.
- Take a few printouts of it for further reference.
The admit card will include all the details like:
- Candidates name and roll number,
- Signature of candidate
- Examination Venue and its address
- Date and time of examination
- Exam Day instructions
TANCET Exam Centres 2018
Aspirants can choose one centre according to their convenience. The chosen exam centre should be mentioned in the application form. Details such as the address and the location of the centre will be mentioned in the admit card. Candidates may be allotted other exam centre other than the one chosen by him/her in case there is no vacancy in the preferred one.
TANCET 2018 will be held across 15 venues in Tamil Nadu. The list of TANCET exam centres is displayed below:
TANCET 2018 Exam Pattern
TANCET 2018 will be an offline test (pen and paper based) comprising MCQ questions. The medium of the paper is English. The duration of the entrance will be 2 hours and candidates will have to attempt 100 questions of 100 marks. Question paper for programs like M. Tech/ME/M. Arch and M. Plan will be segregated into 3 sections. Against every correct answer, 1 mark will be allotted and for every incorrect answer, 1/5 mark will be subtracted. No marks are allotted for un-attempted questions. Aspirants can score a maximum of 100 marks.
- 120 Minutes Duration: Exam Duration Is 2 Hours
- Each of 1 Score: Each Correct Answer Will Be Awarded 1 Mark
- -0.20 Mark -Ve Score: 1 Mark Deducted for 5 Wrong Answers (1/3 mark for every wrong answer).
- Offline Exam Type: It Will Be A Pen And Paper Based Test. Candidates should answer every question correctly and shade the corresponding small open box provided. The shade should be made from a black all point pens only.
- MCQ Question Type: Questions Will Be Of Objective Type. There are four alternative answers for each question
- 100 Total Questions: There Are 100 Questions In Each Paper
- In ME/M.Tech/M.Arch/M.Plan section, PART I & II is compulsory. PART III according to the discipline selected during registration.
The brief summary of TANCET 2018 Exam Pattern is tabulated below:
|Mode of Examination||Offline (pen and paper based)|
|Number of Questions||100|
|Duration of Exam||2 hours|
|Sections in Paper||3|
|Courses||Number of Questions||Marks Allotted|
TANCET Sample Papers 2018
TANCET question paper in each subject will have different versions. Each question paper will have a unique serial number. The candidates have to write and shade the question book serial number on the Answer sheet in the given boxes and open box respectively. Evaluation will be based on what the candidates specified on the answer sheet. Any mistake regard this may be the responsibility of the candidates.
From the entrance examination center, candidates can get the previous year question paper of TANCET. Moreover, the same can be obtained from the Anna University, Chennai 600 025 by paying Rs.25 each (demand draft), in person.
TANCET 2018 Syllabus
TANCET 2018 Syllabus for different courses is different. Candidates must be through with basic verbal and logical reasoning questions. Arithmetic questions will be based on 10+2 syllabus. The details are elaborated underneath:
|Name of the Program||Syllabus|
|MBA||Data Analysis, Passage Comprehension, Quantitative Aptitude, General English.|
|MCA||Quantitative Ability, Analytical Ability, Logical Reasoning, Computer Awareness, Verbal Ability, Basic Sciences.|
|M. Tech/M.E/M. Arch/M. Plan||Part 1: Engineering Mathematics|
Part 2: Basic Engineering and Sciences
Part 3: The subject as selected by aspirant in the application form
Best Preparation Books for TANCET 2018
The following are the Best Preparation Books for TANCET. Aspirants are suggested to follow the below-mentioned books besides reference books and online study material for boosting up their preparation for TANCET 2018:
|Name of the Program||Name of the Book||Author/Publisher||ISBN|
|Engineering and Science Stream||TANCET (M. Tech/M.E/M. Arch/M. Plan)||V.V.K.Subburaj||978-8172543693|
|MCA||TANCET MCA Superior Guide||Sakthi Publishing House||978-9385078231|
|TANCET MCA (Anna University)||V.V.K.Subburaj||978-8172542399|
|MBA||TANCET MBA (Anna University)||S.Chand (G/L) & Company Limited||978-8172543020|
|TANCET||MBA Superior Guide||Sakthi Publishing House||978-9385078224|
TANCET 2018 Result
TANCET 2018 Result will be declared at the official website after few days of completion of the entrance test. The result should be downloaded from the official website within ten days post declaration of the result. It is advised that aspirants should keep print out copies of the result and keep them with utmost care. This is because TANCET 2018 Result is considered equivalent to that of the rank list and is need to be produced at the time of admission.
Aspirants should go through the steps given below to download the result:
- Visit the website www.annauniv.edu
- Click on the proceed link and the login option will automatically appear on your computer screen.
- Enter the e-mail ID and password
- Click on the log in tab
In case the result is lost or damaged, duplicate one can be issued with a payment of INR 100 via Demand Draft with a written appeal to:
The Secretary, TANCET,
Anna University, Chennai- 600 025
TANCET 2018 Counselling
Candidates have to undergo separate application procedure post result for counselling and admission. Candidates who are GATE qualified can participate in TANCET 2018 Counselling if they want to. Candidates must have acquired the minimum eligible marks category-wise to be a part of the counselling procedure:
|Category||Minimum Eligible Marks|
|BC/BCM/MBC&DNC/SC/SCA/ST candidates of Tamil Nadu||45%|
The counselling forms are available both online and offline. Offline forms will have to be filled and sent via post. Offline counselling forms must be addressed to
The Secretary, TANCET,
Anna University, Chennai- 600 025
Whereas the online form will be available on Anna University’s website and the procedure will be exactly same as that of the application form filling during the entrance.
Counselling will start after the entrance examination result declared. From July, onward counselling process will be started. Candidate will get admission on the basis of the rank score in the entrance test, the deserving candidate will get the seat of admission.
The admission procedure for the academic year 2018-19 consists of the following two steps:
- Appearing for the TANCET 2018.
- Applying for admission to the admitting authorities concerned.
TANCET 2018 Documents Required for Counselling
- 10thMark Sheet (As a Proof of DOB)
- Passing Certificate of 12th/Graduation
- Qualifying Examination Mark Sheet and Passing Certificate
- TANCET Admit Card
- TANCET Mark Sheet
- Category Certificate
- Character Certificate
- Domicile Certificate
TANCET 2018 Cut off
The Cut-Off marks of TANCET 2018 will get published on the official portal by Directorial Authority of Tamil Nadu. Refering the previous year cut off marks will help the candidate to know the idea about how much more needed for qualifying.
Candidate can check minimum and maximum marks required for eligibility for the counselling. A candidate who scores secure marks or higher marks from the given cut-off marks on a website can fill admission form.
The candidate is requested to check day to date update related to TANCET exams.
Factors that determine the TANCET 2018 Cut-off
A lot of factors are considered while determining the cut-off for TANCET and the M. Tech admission in Tamil Nadu. The factors can be summarised as follows:
- Number of applicants
- Total seats available
- Difficulty levels of the TANCET question paper
- Previous year cut-offs for the various branches
- Marking pattern
- Categories and reservation
TANCET 2018 Merit List
- TANCET 2018 Merit list contains the name of qualified and successful candidates.
- Merit list will be prepared by the Anna University on the basis of score obtained in GATE 2018 and TANCET 2018.
- Anna University will decide on 3 separate merit lists for admission through TANCET 2018.
- GATE 2018 Category Merit List: For the candidates (Engineering/Technology), GATE 2018 Score will be taken into consideration for preparing merit. The merit list for Life Science paper and engineering science Codes, will be prepared on the basis of GATE 2019 score (attained in Engineering Science (XE) and Life Science (XL) papers) and TANCET 2018 score with a weightage of 70:30. Also, a Common Merit List is prepared for GATE (Engineering/Technology) and GATE (Engineering Science XE, Life Science XL).
- TANCET 2018 Category Merit List: Merit List is prepared on the basis of marks obtained by candidates in TANCET 2018.
- Sponsored Category Merit List: A small number of seats are made available to candidates employed and sponsored by Governmental organizations, Government aided educational institutions and registered professional architects with a minimum of 5 years of professional experience. Merit list will be prepared on the basis of TANCET 2018. Sponsored candidates will be admitted only to the University Departments of Anna University, Chennai.
TANCET participating institutes 2018
A candidate who will be appearing for the counseling process will be allowed the seat in participating institutes of TANCET 2018. Total there are 32 institutes which give admission to the candidate under TANCET. The top five institutes which admission the candidates for the various course are:
- Anna University, Chennai.
- SRM University, Chennai.
- Satyabhama University, Chennai.
- Kamarajar University.
- Annamalai University.
- Madras University.
How to Prepare for TANCET 2018
We have written some important tips & tricks for the preparation of TANCET exam. The given below exam preparation tips will help you to score a good marks in the examination.
It is important to divide the time as per the topics or syllabus. Time Management plays a very important role in the preparation of exam. Prior to preparation, candidates can plan and prioritize the syllabus they want to finish early. It should be noted that, candidate are needed to give equal time on all the topics. Start the preparation and keep hitting the weak areas to improve the overall preparation.
The candidate needs to follow the best study material, as it is the key for good preparation. Also, it will help the candidate to score well in any examination. Always go for the best study material and trending books to crack the exam. Gather best study materials and keep them around you while study. By solving question papers, candidates will get familiarized with the exam pattern and weightage of questions.
Keep Solving Question Papers
Students should solve previous years question papers and sample papers for better preparations. By solving question papers, candidates will get familiarized with the exam pattern and weightage of questions. Solve all the last year question papers. Candidates can also solve sample papers & attempt practice tests. Solve mock test which is available on the internet. By following all the mentioned tips, candidate can develop the speed of question solving skills.
Revision is the prominent part of any preparation, try to finish up the syllabus in time, so that you will get enough time for revision. Before going for exam, candidate are required to revise what they have studied, as it helps to recall many things that may get out from your mind. Allot last 2 days of examination for the preparation of important topics.
Maintain your Health
While preparing for exam, students forget to take care of their health. You can prepare well only if you are healthy, so take nutritious diet, avoid junk foods and eat fresh vegetables and fruits. You can also do yoga and meditation to relief or relax your body. Take a sleep of at least 8 hours a day.
TANCET 2018 FAQs – Asked Questions
1. What is TANCET Hall Ticket 2018?
TANCET 2018 Hall Ticket is very necessary to appear in the examination hall. Candidates are able to get their admit card through online mode from our website. The TANCET admit card will be available from the 2nd week of June 2018. The admit card will contain all the mandatory instruction regarding the exam.
Candidates have to bring the admit card in the examination hall.
In case, you lost your admit card, you can apply for duplicate admit card by paying Rs. 100/- in the form of Demand Draft in the name of:
The Secretary, TANCET,
Anna University, Chennai- 600 025.
2. How many courses are offered through TANCET 2018?
TANCET 2018 examination is the gateway to take admission in courses such as MBA, MCA, M.E/M.Arch/M.Tech/M.Plan.
3. Do I need to fill separate application forms for appearing in more than one program?
No. You can fill a single TANCET 2018 Application Form for applying to more than one program.
4. I have B.Tech degree from a distance university. Can I apply for TANCET 2018?
No. You cannot apply for TANCET 2018.
5. I am not from Tami Nadu. I am from Karnataka. Can I still apply for TANCET 2018?
Yes. Candidates from other states can also apply for TANCET 2018. But the eligibility conditions will be determined by the conducting authority for candidates from other states.
6. Can I apply for more than one program?
Yes, you can. For every additional program, you need to pay INR 500 if you belong to general category and INR 250 if you belong to SC/ST categories.
7. How can I get TANCET Application Form?
The process of filling TANCET Application Form is completely online. You can access TANCET 2018 application form from the official website of Anna University i.e. www.annauniv.edu